That’s the Spot...

It’s only been recently that I’ve had success with pre-baiting and I've carried on that success going on to land eleven fish out my syndicate in 36 hours. When the fish are really having it, pre-baiting seems to work best when you are hitting the spot every single time and on my recent sessions this proved to be the case!

The best way to achieve accuracy and be able to hit the spot every time I find is with the use of cygnet distance sticks. First you have to count the amount of wraps it is to your spot, clip up the line then with a piece of marker elastic tie it on between the butt eye and the first eye. I found this to be the perfect place as it doesn’t get in the way of the buzzer when the rods are on the sticks.

I flicked a lead about in the swim closest to where they had shown, and found a nice firm clear strip of about 10ft long and 3ft wide in between two weed beds, and then clipped up to the mark with all three rods. I must have disturbed the fish whilst leading about as they had moved slightly out to the left, which wasn’t too much of a problem as once I had banged out 3kg of boilies with the Spomb they were right back in front of me again.

Two of my rods were fished tight together within 2ft of each other and my third was fished about 6ft away from them, just off the baited area to try and intercept a fish on the way in. The two rods that were tight together were in the area where most of the bait was concentrated, so I fished balanced wafters on size 4 kranks to 30lb N-Trap and because it was firm I could get away with using a 4oz lead. The other rod was set-up with a Hinged Stiff Rig.

The sun went down behind the moody grey clouds that were moving quickly across the skyline as the wind picked up pace. It was looking really good! The fish had moved back in and the bobbins were up and down like yo-yos with the liners.

The heavens opened just as I got into the bag to get some shut-eye. Just as I was just drifting off to the sounds of the rain hitting the top of the Tempest, the relaxed atmosphere was broken with the sound of a Delkim screaming a high-pitched note! It was one of the rods on the baited spot. As soon as I hit into the fish I could tell it was decent, it absolutely steamed off and gave me the runaround for the best part of 20 minutes.

Eventually I slipped the net underneath her and it turned out to be a cracking 28lb 8oz mirror.

I checked the snaps after slipping it back, and found that it was a fish know as Two Dogs¬. Another one of the lake’s characters in the bag! The rod went back out on the spot and not long after I was fast asleep.
I was woken again at first light by the Tall-Boy Linear, a repeat capture at a spawned out 25lb 8oz. After the two bites I topped up the swim with 10 Spombs of crushed and whole boilies, which seemed to get the fish interested again as, by mid morning, I was into another hard fighting carp! This time it was an old 24lb common followed by a small stocky at little past midday.

The calm before the storm

A great way to start the day

The weather was set to get worse. The clouds were getting thicker and with winds due to get up to 50mph, I was wondering whether staying another night would be the wisest thing to do! Especially when there was a safe, warm bed waiting for me at home.

It didn’t take too long for me to arrive at a decision though, the fish were still in front of me, rolling and popping their heads out as the gusts of wind chopped into the surface of the lake.

Early evening arrived and I Spombed out another bucket of bait as tightly as I could to the area I was fishing. Which was hard work as you can imagine due to the insane wind speeds!

With the winds seemingly getting even stronger, I dropped the Tempest down as low as I could, securing her in position with a few extra pegs here and there. It was just like the night before, apart from the weather was a lot worse! Just before 11.00pm I was back into the fish as the left-hand rod tore away. After getting soaked to the bone and blown all over doing battle with another angry carp, I eventually slipped the net under another chunk!

This time it was a fish call Stumpy that weighed the same as Two Dogs at 28lb 8oz. Despite the conditions I still took the time to clip the rod up to the spot and get the rig out perfect. It’s of the utmost importance to take the time to do this as it can be the difference between keeping the action going and blanking.

That take signalled the beginning of a period of absolute madness. About an hour later the middle and right-hand rod were both screaming. In all honesty I don’t know how I got them both in, it was a bit of a blur, but eventually they were in the nets. A common of 24lb 8oz and the Little Lin at 23lb 4oz. A really quality brace.

Again at first light one of the rods was away again! This time with an upper double common, then shortly after a little stocky went over the net cord taking me to ten fish landed. I’d ran out of bait too so for the last part of the session, I put the rods back out with small PVA bags of crushed boilie before climbing back into the bag to try catch up on some sleep before packing-up.

Soon enough, the alarm was going off. This time it was only my phone telling me to get up and pack down. I’d wrapped all the gear up and just had the rods left out. I stood looking out across the water when the right hand rod was away again! As I leant into the fish, it felt weighty. This could be the big ‘un I thought, but after a crazy fight, with the fish charging through both of my other lines, I landed a fish called Kirk, which tipped the scales to 27lb 14oz. Another chunk and another character!