Pinpoint accuracy was Marc's Key to success!

Marc Cavaciuti has been out on the bank braving the cold weather, and careful observation finally led to the downfall of the largest resident in his chosen venue – this fantastic 39lb 2oz mirror!

The Team Korda member proved that patiently watching how your target is behaving can really pay off, rather than always rushing to get the rods out as soon as you do find them, and in this case it allowed him to put a plan in place that played a significant part in the capture of a big winter carp.

So the next time you do find some fish, stay calm and try to watch exactly what they are doing, and it could be you holding a big carp like this one, as Mark explained: “I set off for the lake early, but after hitting a lot of traffic I didn’t arrive until around 9am. I parked my wheel barrow and started to walk around the snaggy little lake, and after climbing a few trees I found the majority of the stock at one end. I continued looking and chose to ignore the fish that I had found, as the big one wasn’t with them.

“The previous week I had come close to catching the largest resident, a possible scraper 40 which I have spent a fair amount of time watching, but unlike the other sightings this time he looked very active and catchable. I’d come very close on my last trip, when I watched him feeding happily around my hookbait and then saw him dip down on the area my rig was in, but he wrong-sided my single hookbait before ghosting away.

“Because I had been so close last week I felt there was still a chance of the big one slipping up, so wanted to make sure I was on him again this time. I even texted the lake owner saying he would be caught over the weekend or early next week, as looking at the way he was behaving, I was convinced he would trip up.

“After finding him, and a few of the other larger fish, in the middle section of the lake, my first instinct was to get rods out on them quickly, but instead I decided to hold on and just watch him for a good hour or so from up a tree. From my lofty perch I was able to make out a tiny little seam of gravel, and he would occasionally break away from his mates and drop down over it. It was obvious that I needed to be presenting my rig on this spot.

“After watching for an hour or so, I made my way round to the opposite side of the lake once he re-joined his mates. I started to wrap up my lines, and now that he was out of the way I cast my Drop Zone Marker Float a good ten times to the small spot. Every cast saw me walking back and climbing the tree to see if I was on the money, until finally, with what proved to be my last attempt, I wandered back round and got up the tree and could see that it was bang on. Seconds later the big ‘un came from my right and drifted directly beneath my float. It was on!

“Once the coast seemed clear enough, I threw in 15 grains of corn, along the thin seam, conscious that last week my free offerings hadn’t been touched, and given the lethargic mood of the other carp I could see. If I could get him to dip down, I wanted him to get hooked quickly and not risk spooking him on a bed of bait. With this in mind, I walked back to my rods and flicked a 12mm yellow pop-up over to the spot, fished on a Heli-Safe System with a heavy square pear lead, with the swivel removed.

“Due to the nature of the low, punched cast required to drive the lead in under the canopy of trees, I couldn’t feel for a drop, so once again I climbed the tree to check I was fishing accurately on the spot. I was buzzing to see that my pop-up was glowing on the gravel seam, and I could clearly see that the 4in. rig, consisting of 25lb Boom, had kicked my hookbait away from the lead, and everything had settled straight.

“I gently dropped two tiny balls of still-warm, scalded bloodworm pellet either side of my hook bait and sat back.  Close friend, and lake owner, Gav came to see me that afternoon and I excitedly told him what I had seen. ‘Ring me when she slips up, at any time’ were his parting words.

“Dusk was approaching, and from what I had made out during my short time spent at this venue, this was a great time for a bite. Right on cue the rod I had so carefully positioned on the gravel started to slowly tick away and I instantly knew I was attached to a large fish. He flopped over the net after a dogged fight in the shallow water and I could see it was the one I was after.

“We were laughing our heads off when I made the phone call to Gav, and just as he arrived to do the photos it started lashing it down. Observation, spot choice and correct bait application proved to be the downfall of this one, and time spent looking made all the difference.”