Hi-viz hookbaits do the trick for Lawrence East!

Knowledge gleaned during a previous session helped Lawrence East to get on the fish quickly when he arrived for a 24 hour session at a local water.

Being well prepared meant that he lost no time in getting his rods out, having made a careful note of his exact spots on his last trip, and it wasn’t long before he found himself amongst a few fish.

Lawrence revealed: “I arrived knowing that I only had a quick 24 hour session in front of me, so I set off for a walk round and it didn’t take too long to find them, as they were shoaled up again in the corner where I’d caught from the previous week.

“The first thing I did was set my Tempest up as I knew we had some heavy rain forecast and I was a fair way from the car park, and once that was done it was pretty easy getting the rods out, and all I had to do was clip them up to the right distance with the spod rod still clipped up from the previous trip.

“I’m a big believer in ‘if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it’ so the spots and bait application remained the same, with two Spombs of a mixture of Cell and Hybrid 10mm boilies soaked in metamino, plus chickpeas, corn and Response pellets, around each rod, with a hi-viz Mainline Milky Toffee pop-up over the top.

“My set-up was the ever-faithful multi rig constructed with 20lb Kamo braid and size 6 Kurv hooks, along with a lead clip to ensure it came off as I was fishing across to the far margin tree line. I’ve also recently been using 25lb fluorocarbon as a leader due to the mussel beds, as well as the snags.

“Despite the constant activity in the bay throughout the day, with fish showing themselves regularly and liners on all three rods, nothing materialised. I positioned all three rods before the sun set and put out another couple of Spombs of bait over each, and I’d literally just got the kettle on when my middle rod was away.

“After a brutal battle under the far margin tree line, I finally slipped the net under a 28lb 8oz mirror, which I was over-the-moon with, despite nothing else happening during the night even though fish were still showing.

“I had to pack away by midday, so decided to get up at first light to recast and top up the bait. Over the last few weeks I’d noticed a pattern that introducing a bit more bait over the spots early morning was bringing quick bites.

“That morning was no different, and within half-an-hour I was into a lovely mid-double common, and I was about to do the photographs when my left rod burst into action, resulting in a mid-double mirror.

“Shortly after that I had another take resulting in another small mirror, but I was still happy as any fish is a bonus during the colder months!"