Elliot Bertram banks the Nunn from Fryerning

Nothing makes getting up and going to work easier than having caught a forty on an overnighter beforehand!

That is exactly the situation that Elliot Bertram found himself in when he decided to fish a short session inbetween work at his local Fryerning Fishery, and it resulted in the capture of a fish known as the Nunn at 41lb 12oz.

Elliot explained: “As I was driving home from work I was looking at the moody weather, which was most unlike August, so I decided to squeeze in a short overnight session and as soon as I got home I grabbed a few bits and headed down to Fryerning.

“I arrived at the lake around 5.30pm and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was relatively quiet, and after a quick look around, I could see that conditions looked spot on for one of my favourite swims – Right Hand Point – with south westerly winds, rain and low pressure.

“I didn’t have a lot of time, so I quickly got my gear set up before dark whilst keeping an eye on the water, and I saw one stick its head out around 100 yards out, so I was confident that I’d made the right swim choice.

“By 6.30pm I’d got all the rods out, fishing two of them on spots that I’d caught from before, and I was fishing Fake Foods IB and Fruity Squid slow-sinking corn over about a kilo of bait on each spot.

“I continued to watch the water as I was cooking my dinner and the fish kept on showing, getting closer and closer to my spots. It had been a long day so I decided to hit the sack early, but before I did I had a quick chat with the angler in the next swim.

“Whilst we were chatting I thought I could hear something, and when I glanced over my shoulder I could see the tip of my left-hand rod was bent round and line was peeling off the spool!

“I quickly picked up the rod and at first I didn’t think that it felt very big, but then it kited to my left and took line uncontrollably, and I knew that it was big.

“After 20 minutes of back-breaking sidestrain I could feel that it was starting to tire, and then it suddenly gave up and I recognized it as a fish called the Nunn, which is one of the ‘A-team’ in the lake, and before she had a chance to make one last dash for freedom, she was scooped up in the net. I let out a sigh of relief, and I’m not sure who was more tired – me or the fish!

“As I got my weighing and camera kit ready I was shocked that I’d managed to have one of the big ones so soon after turning up, and after weighing her at 41lb 12oz, I was even more happy about my decision to do an overnighter!

“I ended up going to bed far later than planned, but getting up for work the next day at 7am was made a lot easier, having caught a forty, and I drove in with a huge smile on my face.”