A Keen Weather Eye Leads to Success!

“I've always been a big believer that the weather plays a huge part in carp fishing, and its certainly has a massive influence on mine. With that said, I was never a huge believer in the importance of moon phases. Not that I didn't believe in the theory, but I was always very skeptical of its true effects… that was until this week’s session.

Before the start of any session, I constantly check the weather forecast. I use an application called Weather Pro on my smart phone, which gives me a prediction of the weather for up to fourteen days. This includes wind speed, direction, pressure and temperature, allowing me too see not only the direction of the wind on arrival, but for the duration of my stay.

I never turn up at a lake with a set idea of where I might fish during a session; I'm a big believer in taking your time and doing a couple of laps around the lake to find signs of fish. With that said, this particular club water is very busy and with the fish being very weather orientated, and through experience, I can now judge where I believe the fish will be. With a new wind due, I knew the area of the lake where the fish would eventually congregate.

Kurv Shanks, tied up on multi rigs, did the damage.

Lawrence used N-Trap Semi Stiff for his rigs.

I arrived on the Thursday afternoon and, with temperatures of 29 degrees, the lake was flat calm. I set up camp in a swim called Gate Corner, which is at the South East corner of the lake where the wind was due to push into for the next few days. I decided to take a gamble, knowing that nothing was going to happen for the first 24 hours, but I hoped that the remaining 12 hours and a change in weather would work in my favour. I set up three multi rigs that were made from 20lb N-Trap Semi Stiff coated braid with size 6 Kurv Shanks. I'd be using 12mm RG baits 365 pop-ups as hook baits, which were fished an inch off the bottom.

I put all three rods on a clear patch I'd found 15 wraps (60 yards) out in front of the swim. I introduced 20 Spombs of corn, chickpeas, pellets and chopped boilies. Early on the Friday morning the gamble with the weather paid off big style. As expected, I'd blanked for the first 24 hours but at 9:30am the following morning I was rewarded with a cracking 35lb 2oz common. The fish royally beat me up and took me over half an hour to land, but the size 6 Kurv Shank held strong.

At around 12:00pm I then had a call from my old man who had managed to land a 38lb 8oz common known as The Lazy Eye Common, along with a couple of mid twenties. The session was going to plan and had really exceeded our expectations, two 35lb northern commons in a day was a real achievement; little did we know what would happen next.

Throughout the day more and more fish started to show out in front of me and I began to wonder what I had to do to get another take. At 4:30pm I decided to wind in all the rods and put fresh pop-ups on for the night ahead. I also put out another 10 Spombs of bait to freshen up the area and hopefully draw the carp down to feed. The recast worked and within 10 minutes my left-hand rod was in meltdown. Throughout the battle I knew the fish was something special, making slow, hard lunges as it stripped line from my reel. After a 20-minute battle the fish eventually gave up and much to my excitement I could see it was another big common. The fish tipped the scales round to 38lb 2oz and set another personal best for me. That was two new personal bests in three weeks and six thirties in seven sessions back on the club water. Within a seven-hour period between my old man and I, we had managed three northern commons for a combined weight of 111lb 12oz.

These sessions really don't come along very often and when they do we should all take the time to fully appreciate our successes, the special times we all strive for and that live so long in our memories. It really was an unbelievable session.”